You may be finding it challenging lately to purchase the right mix of healthy foods during this pandemic. I wanted to put together a list of food sources you can stock up on that are healthy and easy to incorporate into any meal plan without being perishable:
- Canned Beans – lentils, great northern, chickpea, black beans – try to use low sodium versions and rinse with water
- Brown Rice
- WG pasta or chickpea pasta like Banza
- Egg noodles
- Peanut butter or any nut butter
- Any nuts such as – Almonds, Walnuts, Pistachio, Pecans, Cashews
- Soups- low sodium versions
- Stocks – Chicken, vegetable, beef
- Maple syrup, Honey, Agave
- Olive oil, avocado oil or canola oil
- Canned fish – Tuna, Salmon, Sardines
- Canned green beans, spinach, etc- try to use low sodium versions and rinse with water
- Dried fruits – make sure they are unsweetened and sulfur dioxide-free
*Tip – remember you can combine brown rice with any bean to get a complete combination of proteins!
Let’s not forget that frozen foods are a great option for fresh produce as well…
- Frozen berries or any fruits
- Frozen vegetables – any mixture is good – Broccoli, spinach, green beans, asparagus, riced cauliflower, carrots, etc.
- Frozen long grain rice
- Frozen meats – Turkey burgers – I love the ones from Trader Joes!